GStreamer and Rhythmbox on Debian Sid

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Mar 2 18:13:11 UTC 2018

Most of my ripped music is in OGG Vorbis. Rhythmbox on Debian Sid is
fine with this. Yesterday I tried playing something I have in MP3 and
nothing. GStreamer didn't have the appropriate MP3 plugin. I have the
Debian packages for base, good, bad, and ugly plugins, but none seem
now to have an MP3 plugin. I have libmad0, libmpeg3-2, libmpeg2-4,
ffmpeg, libmpg123-0 installed and I'm assuming at least one of those is
up for the job.

In a moment of stress I installed the fluendo plugin package and it all
worked, but I am fairly sure I shouldn't have had to do this.

Anyone any ideas what has changed recently that made this change?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200