NDI source element?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Thu Mar 8 15:12:22 UTC 2018

Le jeudi 08 mars 2018 à 09:19 +0100, Alfonso Rodriguez a écrit :
> I am a developer at TELTEK Video Research. We are currently using
> GStreamer on our recording software, Galicaster.
>
> We have recently been looking for a GStreamer NDI source element but
> we haven't found anything so far. Is anybody working on adding some
> sort of NDI support to GStreamer? We are considering to develop a
> plugin for this and were wondering whether someone was also
> interested/already working on it.

No one have proposed a patch yet. If I understood well, the ffmpeg
support was provided by NewTek themself. I see that their proprietary
library headers are MIT license, and the library can be dlopen(). So I
guess it's doable, though, it will likely remain niche as it cannot
easily be distributed (e.g. in Fedora, Debian, etc.), so there will be
very few people testing it (reminds me of the DeckLink support). Other
then that, I know very little about the protocol itself.

There is also a very similar protocol that landed recently, it's called
SRT. It's maybe a competing technology, not certain. They made the
libsrt an Open Source library in order to give more flexibility to
their user. SRT is supported by VLC/FFMPEG and GStreamer. Though, it's
targeting unreliable and/or unsafe network (but not restricted to),
while I think NDI is for fully reliable and safe network (correct me if
I'm wrong here).

Nicolas