Configurable plugin path

Shaunak Gupte gupte.shaunak at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:17:41 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I have a bunch of gstreamer plugin libraries that I want to install in a
custom location (for ease of uninstalling / keeping my own libs seperate
from gstreamer provided libraries).

Instead of having to export the GST_PLUGIN_PATH or adding the path using
GstRegistry APIs, can we have something similar to what ldconfig does? Have
a directory /etc/gst-1.0.so.conf.d where we can specify the directories
containing the gstreamer plugin libs?

This can be useful since we wouldn't have to explicitly use the GstRegistry
API in every Gstreamer application or export GST_PLUGIN_PATH every time
before running the application.

I can try to implement this and push a patch if this sounds useful. Or does
such a thing already exist?

Thanks
Shaunak