1.12.4 → 1.14.0 on Debian

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Mar 26 12:22:28 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-03-25 at 20:18 +0300, Sebastian Dröge wrote:

> […]
> GL is in -base :) But the reason is that people will otherwise complain
> about all the dependencies these plugins (GTK, GL, Qt) are pulling in.

So as far as Debian packaging is concerned the gtk plugin is not good, bad, or
ugly, it is in it's own category, gtk. This caused me confusion I'm afraid.

I'd suggest a minor rename:

gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good-gtk

etc. I believe the Fedora people do this sort of naming strategy as they
rigorously distinguish free and non-free because the non-free is in a totally
separate repository.

Naming in this sort of way makes it easier to move from "gtk plugin has moved
from bad to good" to loading the right OS package.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200