Exposing run-time discovered properties in a source element

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu May 10 15:00:42 UTC 2018

I've got a bunch of plugins in gst-plugins-vision for machine vision camera
acquisition libraries, most of which have the capability to expose camera
properties that are discovered at run-time. Common items include exposure,
gain, pixel format, ROI, etc, but there can also be device specific
properties that can't be known ahead of time. Obviously this doesn't work
with the way GStreamer handles properties of elements.

Is anyone else doing this? My first thought was just to have a
dynamic-properties property, which would then be a GObject containing all
the run-time discovered properties. Perhaps I should expose standard
properties like exposure and gain simply as element properties.

In my particular case, properties can be nested in groups, something which
GObject properties don't capture, but perhaps I could use a double dash to
separate levels, though that's not very elegant.

Thanks for any input,
-Josh