FEC and retransmissions for video

Lauri Ehrenpreis lauri.ehrenpreis at starship.xyz
Mon May 14 12:53:59 UTC 2018

Hi!

I tried to set up a pipeline which does both retransmissions and FEC for
video. My hope was that first pipeline will try to recover packet with FEC
and if that fails it will request retransmission. As there was no working
example for such setup I
used gst-plugins-good/tests/examples/rtp/client-rtpaux.c
and gst-plugins-good/tests/examples/rtp/server-rtpaux.c as basis and
added request-fec-decoder & request-fec-encoder signal handlers there.

After adding FEC handlers gstrtpbin came up with following pipeline on
client side (attached image). So retransmission component is before
jitterbuffer and FEC is after. Do I understand correctly the pipeline will
first try to request retransmission if packet is lost and only after the
retransmission did not deliver the packet in time for jitterbuffer, it will
try use FEC to recover packet? Why it is done this way - wouldn't it be
better to try FEC first?

--
Lauri