Raspberry Pi: Timestamped Live-Stream

waymond91 waymond91 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:16:26 UTC 2018

Hello All!
I am working on a streaming a video from a raspberry pi to a live video
stream.
I am using the pricamsrc for my gstreamer source.
I want the stream to be as low-latency as possible, so I am using h264
frames to send the stream over wifi.

Here is my pipeline on the raspberry side of things:

gst-launch-1.0 -e rpicamsrc bitrate=1000000 rotation=180 \
    ! 'video/x-h264,width=640,height=480' \
    ! h264parse \
    ! queue \
    ! rtph264pay config-interval=1 pt=96 \
    ! gdppay \
    ! udpsink host=MY_IP port=5000

On my video display, the pc splits the stream so it can both save the video
and display the stream.
The pipeline looks like this:

gst-launch-1.0 -e udpsrc port=5000 \
   ! gdpdepay \
   ! rtph264depay \
   ! tee name = t \
   t. ! queue ! avdec_h264 ! videoconvert ! autovideosink sync=false \
   t. ! queue ! h264parse ! mp4mux! filesink location=tee.mp4 \

This all works OK.
But what I need to have working is a timestamp of the absolute time when the
frame is actually displayed.
I'd then like to save the actual frame displayed and the associated time to
any video format that best contains this information (ultimately, I'd like
to go through with a program like matlab & have a jpeg of each frame and the
associated timestamp).

I am very new to this process, and if anybody had any insight as to how to
get this working, it'd be a HUGE help!
Thanks in advance!

-Brett