Slow plugin skipping frames when needed

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Tue Nov 13 09:48:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 21:59 -0600, MathieuP wrote:

Hi Mathieu,

Some more context would be good.

Pull mode usually only works for byte-based streams that can do random
access (theoretically it should also be possible to do pull mode
sequentially on a stream but so far this is only something the API
provides, I'm not aware of anything actually implementing that).

Pull mode always needs the co-operation of the upstream elements, and
there are very few elements that support it, and none of them video-
specific.

I think you will probably have to find a solution that works with push
mode, unless you read input from a file with raw video data or so.

Is your analysis plugin a pass-through filter of some sort, e.g. could
it just pass through video frames immediately as they come in at full
framerate, but only analyse a fraction of them?

Or did you want to take video in, and output data of a different kind
for each analysed frame, so the output would be at a lower/variable
frame rate?

Cheers
 Tim