Android - Prebuilt/link static plugin in gstplayer

tve tve at teletask.be
Tue Oct 9 12:19:59 UTC 2018

I managed to build and compile the  gstreamer-imx plugin
<https://github.com/Freescale/gstreamer-imx>   to support hardware decoding
on our i.MX 6 processor.
This creates a /libgstimxvpu.a/ file that I would like to add to our Android
application which is based on the  gstplayer
<https://github.com/GStreamer/gst-examples>

My  Android.mk
<https://gist.github.com/RootSoft/3f4687a99d18ec32d6bc08cb50152a86>   file
contains 2 modules, the /libgstimxvpu/, which is a prebuilt static library
and the /gstplayer/ which is compiled at buildtime and needs to link to the
/libgstimxvpu/ module.

Whenever I try to run the application, I get the following error:

> gst-build-arm64-v8a/gstreamer_android.c:67: error: undefined reference to
> 'gst_plugin_imxvpu_register'
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
> invocation)
> make: *** [buildsharedlibrary_arm64-v8a] Error 1

What else do I need to do in order to compile the plugin into the gstplayer
shared library?
Do I need any other dependencies like libgstimxcommon?
I've read that the archive file needs a complementary header file (or .la
file), but no file seems to be generated when compiling the plugin.

My goal is to extend the gstplayer with JNI bindings, and manage/extend the
pipeline of the videoplayer.
The plugin was compiled on an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with GStreamer 1.2.4 and the
development of the Android app (gstplayer) is done on macOS 10.13.6.