Working of UDP source timeout feature

vk_gst venkateshkuppan26 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 13:08:19 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have been reading into the Google Congestion Control(GCC) Algorithm and it
seems to be a viable option for the use case. Considering that the GCC
algorithm, implements a sender and receiver logic to tune and adapt to the
bandwidth constraints, it seems a more complicated/full-fledged mechanism
for a device like iMX6 at the sender side.

My main goal is to detect the video-freeze(failure to receive current
video-frame), since the target application is for a Drone live video footage
use case. I am considering implementing a subset of GCC, only at the
receiver side(Ubuntu PC) that notifies the application in case of a
video-freeze/no new video frames received.  However, I have a few questions,
that I could not understand or find relevant information :

1. In case I have a sender iMX6 device transmitting 30fps, and expect to
receive a frame every 33ms - can I consider each push-buffer I receive at
'udpsrc' as 1 frame ?So it means I receive 30 buffers for a second at the
receiver side. Is this understanding correct ?   ( each push-buffer could be
sensed by a probe callback, which could be a vital information. )

2. How can I receive the RTP timestamps of each buffer received, to create
an estimate algorithm on Python ? Or should I stick to writing a GStreamer
plugin for the algorithm?

3. Also, with regards to RTCP in GStreamer, are there any APIs, that can be
used to read the metrics of the feedback ?

Regards.