what is the state of building gstreamer on windows?

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 17:33:07 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 10:42 PM Marcos Kintschner <marcos.ktn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have been able to build GStreamer for Windows using
> https://github.com/GStreamer/gst-build
>
> It's not a very easy task building it for Visual Studio though. You should
> take a look at the meson package for Python which is used to build the
> GStreamer.
>
> Then you basically run the command: python meson.py --backend = vs2017
build
> and it will generate the Visual Studio projects for you. At the current
> state, most of the built projects are bugged, they can not load because of
> an error in the vcxproj files. Fortunately, this is easily solvable by
> editing the vcxproj files manually (it usually shows where the error is in
> the file).

Note that this is only the case when generating vcxproj files with
meson. If you build with the --backend=ninja option you should not
face any issues.

> There is also the https://github.com/GStreamer/cerbero project, but I have
> not succeeded in building the GStreamer on Windows with it.

Cerbero is the recommended way to build gstreamer on windows, and is
regularly tested to ensure that it works. Please file bugs if you have
issues building on Windows with Cerbero
<https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer&component=cerbero>
or gst-build
<https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer&component=gst-build>
.

Also note that the GitHub link is just a mirror. The canonical link
for Cerbero's git repository is
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/cerbero

Cheers,
Nirbheek