using commercial x264 encoder with GStreamer

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Oct 23 14:52:58 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-10-23 at 13:41 +0300, Vladislavs Zaluckis wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am sure this has been asked and answered before, I just somehow
> fail to look it up. Can you please point me in the right direction or
> just answer the following question.
>
> I am developing a commercial product based on the GStreamer framework
> that will output an x264-encoded video stream. Obviously, I need a
> commercial x264 license to do that. But then what about the x264enc
> plugin from the "ugly" set? It is under GPL, so obviously I cannot
> use it for a commercial product. So, do I have to develop a very
> similar (if not identical) plugin to wrap the commercial libx264?
> Hasn't this been done before? I would buy a commercial version of it
> if it existed, but I don't see any references...

The x264 plugin code is LGPL like most of GStreamer. The indication
that the plugin is GPL in the plugin factory is because that's how most
people link it: to the GPL x264 library.

There's nothing preventing you from linking against the commercial x264
library, and optionally changing that GPL indication to LGPL (which the
combined situation would be for the plugin AFAIU, but I'm not a
lawyer). That's what other people are doing in your situation.