Decoding h264 streamed through a named pipe

Benjamin Rapaport brapaport at google.com
Mon Sep 10 19:17:04 UTC 2018

I am trying to decode a raw h264 video stream via a named pipe (created via
`mkfifo -m 0660 in_pipe`), and output decoded RGB images to another named
pipe. My command looks something like:

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=in_pipe ! h264parse ! vpudec ! glupload !
glcolorconvert ! gldownload ! video/x-raw,format=RGB ! filesink
location=out_pipe.

I need the input pipe to remain open indefinitely, as I will continue to
write video frame bytes to the pipe as they become available, and want them
decoded as soon as possible. However, it appears that as soon as gstreamer
completes the pipeline on the first input written to in_pipe, gstreamer
gets an EOS signal, shuts down, and closes the input and output pipes.

I have tried to do this with fdsrc as well, but see similar behavior.

Any ideas what I can do to make something like this work?

br