splitmuxsink with avimux failing for files larger than certain size

Baby Vitals tt.babyvitals.01 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 05:25:03 UTC 2018

Hi.

I need to split a mjpeg video stream into files of 1hr of duration; for
that I use splitmuxsink with the muxer set to avimux. However, the files
produced fail to load properly. VLC reports the index is either missing or
corrupted, and other video players either crash or take several seconds to
load. Only the first file is OK.

Note that AVI is chosen because the files need to usable by a Windows
machine without needing extra software.

Below is my example pipeline. I've only tested with a Logitech 920c camera.
I did test several duration values and it seems the files will fail to load
properly if the duration is set longer than 510s for the resolution and
frame rate in use.

$ gst-launch-1.0 -e v4l2src device=/dev/video1 !
image/jpeg,width=1280,height=720,framerate=24/1 ! queue ! splitmuxsink
muxer=avimux location=./testvid6-%02d.avi max-size-time=511000000000 sync=0

* I've noticed that all files with sizes larger than 1.2GB seem to be
failing.

Runtime Environment:
$ uname -a
Linux XXX 4.15.0-34-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 27 15:21:48 UTC 2018
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

GStreamer:
$ gst-launch-1.0 --gst-version
GStreamer Core Library version 1.14.1

$ gst-launch-1.0 --gst-version
GStreamer Core Library version 1.15.0.1

Any ideas on what is wrong with my pipeline or what to try next, are
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Rafael