Unable to play and record Internet stream at the same time

ben_whiteus ben_whiteus at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 15:15:45 UTC 2018

I was able to play and record Internet stream using gstreamer when I was
using Ubuntu 16.04. However, after upgrading to 18.04, I can no longer do
that. The command I used and the corresponding error message are as follows:

$ gst-launch-1.0 souphttpsrc location=<livestream url> ! decodebin !
audioconvert ! tee name=t ! playsink t. ! lamemp3enc ! id3v2mux ! filesink
location=test.mp3
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Got context from element 'souphttpsrc0': gst.soup.session=context,
session=(SoupSession)NULL, force=(boolean)false;
Redistribute latency...
Redistribute latency...
^Chandling interrupt.
Interrupt: Stopping pipeline ...
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

I did try playing alone:

$ gst-launch-1.0 souphttpsrc location=<livestream url> ! decodebin !
audioconvert !  playsink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Got context from element 'souphttpsrc0': gst.soup.session=context,
session=(SoupSession)NULL, force=(boolean)false;
Redistribute latency...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstPulseSinkClock
^Chandling interrupt.
Interrupt: Stopping pipeline ...
Execution ended after 0:00:17.987984164
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

and recording alone:

$ gst-launch-1.0 souphttpsrc location=<livestream url> ! decodebin !
audioconvert ! lamemp3enc ! id3v2mux ! filesink location=test.mp3
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Got context from element 'souphttpsrc0': gst.soup.session=context,
session=(SoupSession)NULL, force=(boolean)false;
Redistribute latency...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock