Gstreamer error: clock problem (Azure VM)

Joao Miguel Ferreira joao.miguel.c.ferreira at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 11:37:42 UTC 2019

Hello list,

I am facing a problem using gstreamer on Azure VMs. I have no previous
experience with Gstreamer, and maybe that is the real problem. But I need
to get this up&running and I'm finding these issues specifically in Azure
VMs.

We are using a python based wrapper for gstreamer which also plays as REST
API. It's here: https://github.com/bbc/brave. It's a fine software and it
helps us a lot.

So... my problem: we are overlaying a PNG file onto an RTMP stream and then
pushing the result to an RTMP server (nginx for tests, twitch TV too). It
works well on my laptop at 720p and 1080p. The setup runs on Docker, both
on Debian OS and also on ubuntu VMs.

But it never works well on Azure VMs. I have tried several VM families
(even with GPU) and I always get some issue. The most frequent one is:

GStreamer error: clock problem

The logs show additional information concerning latency:

 WARNING: [32m[   output1] [0m GStreamer warning from mux:
gst-core-error-quark: GStreamer error: clock problem. (13)
 WARNING: [32m[   output1] [0m GStreamer warning debug:
gstaggregator.c(1731): gst_aggregator_query_latency_unlocked ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline2/GstFlvMux:mux:
Impossible to configure latency: max 0:00:02.000000000 < min
0:00:02.100000000. Add queues or other buffering elements.
 WARNING: [32m[   output1] [0m GStreamer warning message: GStreamer error:
clock problem.

This does not happen at lower resolutions like 640x360

Could this be related to the fact that these are VMs ? Because on my laptop
(Lenovo thinkpad) it works fine.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have or sharing anyone's
experience with this kind of deploy.

Thank you
João