Unable to get visual window when running gstreamer under Windows (work under Bash for Windows)

Ben Rush ben at ben-rush.net
Mon Apr 8 16:49:36 UTC 2019

I imagine a lot of the community here is using Linux, but I'm bound by
Windows because of my work. I mention this because I'm not sure how much
traction I'll get asking a Windows-specific question, but I'll try.

I'm trying to get some basic gst-launch-1.0 commands to work, but thus far
have been unable. Moving those same commands over to Bash for Windows and
launching them there, I'm able to get the play window to run (I'm running
Xming on my Windows machine as an X server). Note that some commands do
work and display the interface, so I think it's unlikely to be a bad
installation.

First, this command works just fine when run under windows:

.\gst-launch-1.0.exe videotestsrc is-live=true ! openh264enc ! rtph264pay !
rtph264depay ! decodebin ! autovideosink

Upon executing it, I get the test video to show up in the video window. But
when I try to split this up as a server/client, it fails. First I run the
following command to spin up the client:

.\gst-launch-1.0.exe -v udpsrc port=3000 caps="application/x-rtp" !
application/x-rtp,clock-rate=90000,payload=96 ! rtph264depay ! decodebin !
autovideosink

Once running, I then run this command to acts as the server and start
pushing UDP packets:

.\gst-launch-1.0.exe videotestsrc is-live=true ! openh264enc ! h264parse !
rtph264pay pt=96 ! udpsink port=3000

Nothing crashes, and I don't get any errors, but also no window opens up. I
see nothing. However, if I spin up Bash for Windows (with Xming) and run
this in one window:

gst-launch-1.0 -v udpsrc port=3000 caps="application/x-rtp" !
application/x-rtp,clock-rate=90000,payload=96 ! rtph264depay ! decodebin !
autovideosink

Followed by this in another window:

gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc is-live=true ! x264enc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay
pt=96 ! udpsink port=3000

The only difference is the x264enc instead of the openh264enc. I'm not sure
how to get the x264enc to exist under Windows (I cannot find the plugin for
Windows).

Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.