Short glitch on start of video playback on Raspberry Pi

moritz.vieli moritz.vieli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 19:50:55 UTC 2019

Hi there

I have a simple pipeline where I play a video on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with
Gstreamer 1.14.3. It looks like this:
gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=file:///test.mp4

The video is being played well, but at the start there is a short
glitch/flickering with diagonal stripes. It seems, it's displayed until the
buffer is full (about a quarter of a second).

I also tried a different pipeline, but it resulted in the same problem:
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=/test.mp4 ! qtdemux ! h264parse ! omxh264dec
! glimagesink

There is no problem, when I play the video with omxplayer.

Do you have an idea how I could get rid of this glitch? A delayed start
would be no problem, if this helps somehow (e.g. fill the buffer with black
until the video is ready).

Thanks a lot for your replies and best,
Moritz