BaseTransform with live video

rs99 ralf.sippl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 08:28:25 UTC 2019

Mathieu Duponchelle wrote
> If your transform element is too slow for real time operation, it should
> handle
> QoS events and skip ahead.

Thanks for the reply. "Skip ahead" is a bit vague :). I tried doing this via
a gap event, but it doesn't work as desired, because the transform element
can't anticipate precisely how long the transformation will take, and the
gap event needs to contain the gap duration. Especially when having more
than one transform pipeline 'branch', the results get quite ugly...

I believe the aggregator isn't the right element class for this. An element
(maybe a BaseTransform?) with always pads for in and out video, and request
sink pads for each transform branch of the pipeline might work better.

Sure, pure Python is too slow for this, but  even with C / C++, most tasks
cannot be done in realtime, so I believe my question remains valid
regardless of the implementation.