Gstreamer + Clutter + Wayland

horai ivo.hora at seznam.cz
Fri Apr 19 19:22:14 UTC 2019

Dear sir,

Thank you once more.
I tested the element v4l2h264dec with this simple pipeline:
gst-launch-1.0 -e rtspsrc location="rtsp://10.0.0.9:8555/test" latency=0 !
rtph264depay ! h264parse ! v4l2h264dec ! videoconvert ! waylandsink (or
clutterautovideosink)
I compared it to:
gst-launch-1.0 -e rtspsrc location="rtsp://10.0.0.9:8555/test" latency=0 !
rtph264depay ! h264parse ! omxh264dec ! videoconvert ! waylandsink (or
clutterautovideosink)

It works, but the performance load was approximately the same.
Anyway, what I do not fully understand is why, when compiling gst-omx, it is
requesting header from libraspberrypi-dev
which seem to be header files for libraspberrypi0. If I understand correctly
libraspberrypi0 are proprietary GPU drivers from Broadcom supporting
zero-copy. Well, I am I right stating that omx compiled agains this headers
would have the zero-copy feature? This way I don't fully understand how it
could switch from Broadcom binary to VC4 the one running the Weston is
running on top:
[10:52:28.444] GL version: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-2b7d5c3217)
[10:52:28.445] GLSL version: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
[10:52:28.445] GL vendor: Broadcom
[10:52:28.445] GL renderer: VC4 V3D 2.1

Anyway, I will continue trying to find solution for the slow performance.
Even the before-mentioned pipeline is rather sluggish (but excellent delay).
Clutter is a problem, maybe I experience what you have already mentioned
that it is not maintained anymore ,as Wayland support is labeled as
experimental after ./autogen.sh process. Anyway I compiled COGL with OpenGL
(GL) as well as OpenGL ES 2.0 (GLES2) support the same I did with clutter
and assumed that just swapping drivers:
CLUTTER_DRIVER=gles2|gl could make some difference. But no way. Anyway, as
always I blame myself as there are tons of switches (EGL, KMS etc. etc.)
during compiling and requires a lot more testing.
If only there would be a Clutter cookbook :)