h264 synchronization

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Mon Apr 29 18:12:54 UTC 2019

Le lundi 29 avril 2019 à 10:14 -0500, Andressio a écrit :
> > Nicolas Dufresne-5 wrote
> >
> > Not really. In general you should avoid storing raw h264 for this purpose.
> > Instead use a container, like streamable matroska or Mpeg ts.
> >

> If I understand correctly you are saying that if I encapsulate the h264 stream in, for example, a matroska container I will be able to retrieve specific frames. I guess that this can be done in the recording application but still there would be no way to obtain a frame rference in the analytics application.
>

> To solve this sync problem the emitting camera should be able to tag or mark frames. Not even the keyframe are numbered?

It's container (matroska, TS, ISOMP4, RTP etc.) jobs to store metadata about frames. I don't have a good view or you application design, but if you do this well, the meta data (usually timestamp or sequence number) should travel through. Saving raw H264 to disk strip off any information, you'd even be lucky if you can figure-out the original framerate.

Nicolas