Video Quality/Resolution Problem in Gstreamer

Ian Davidson id012c3076 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 08:46:08 UTC 2019

You asked "What is a Key Frame?"

If you think of a typical TV picture, much of the image stays the same
from one frame to another.  You could create your video file by storing
each frame in its entirety - but in order to reduce the overall file
size we use 'Key Frames' and 'Delta Frames'. The Key Frame has all the
pixels required to make up the picture - just like a still photo. That
key frame will then be followed by a series of Delta Frames which simply
note the differences from the previous frame.  If your video is of a
news reader reading the news, the delta frames would detail the mouth
moving and not much more.  If you were to try to pick up your video in
the middle, you would have the detail of the mouth moving - but you
would know nothing about the news reader's face.  Therefore, you need to
include Key Frames from time to time to enable starting 'part-way through'.

I hope that helps.

Ian