Should I send step event to sink or whole pipeline? And is this OK to use step at all?

Askar Safin safinaskar at mail.ru
Wed Aug 28 18:23:42 UTC 2019

Hi. I use "playbin". Should I send step events to sink (i. e. extract video sink from pipeline and send to it) or to whole pipeline? https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/tutorials/basic/playback-speed.html?gi-language=c sends it to sink. But this can cause bug I reported here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/issues/430 . I found more bugs related to step events and/or their documentation. But I not reported them yet, because I don't know what to write in my reduced test cases: pipeline or sink.

Also, are step events experimental feature? I. e. if I want to write program which just works, is this OK to use step events or I should use seeks only? Is this OK to use steps for intervals, which are more than several frames, such as 10 seconds (or 1 second) for usual 24 fps video?

In which state I should trigger step events? In paused or playing?

==
Askar Safin
http://vk.com/safinaskar