dynamic stream recording

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Dec 2 13:08:20 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-12-02 at 11:54 +0100, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Saturday, November 30, 2019 7:33:36 AM CET Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > Hi Milian,
> >
> > On Fri, 2019-11-29 at 11:25 +0100, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > > Great! Thanks for looking into this. One thing I note is that you
> > > aren't
> > > setting the state of the newly added branch to PLAYING, isn't
> > > that also
> > > required? It was required for me at least in my code that adds a
> > > branch
> > > for
> > > recording to a filesink.
> >
> > The version I have here is doing that in line 151/152/153 and
> > that's
> > also in the git repository. However it was not doing that inside
> > pad_added_cb(), and that is indeed missing and must be added.
>
> Ah, gst_element_sync_state_with_parent should take care of that in
> tick_cb, right? I was looking for an explicit call to
> gst_element_set_state.

Correct

> > Without doing that it won't work all the time at least.
> >
> > > But as I said, I tried adding that to your example yet it didn't
> > > solve the
> > > black-screen issue for me.
> >
> > It works fine for me after doing the above, which is now also in
> > the
> > git repo. Are you maybe using any special decoder instead of the
> > one of
> > gst-libav?
> >
> > But I actually misread: I thought you were talking about the
> > dynamic-
> > filter.c example. That's the one where I get a green video if I
> > reduce
> > the timeout to one second.
>
> I'm just trying dynamic-tee-vsink with any mp4 file I have around,
> all just show a black screen for me. Here's a debug log, note how the
> state goes to PAUSED which would explain the black screen:

I see you're using vaapisink and probably also the vaapi decoders.
Please try again with some other sink and decoder, I wouldn't be
surprised if the problem simply disappears then.

If so, please create an issue against gstreamer-vaapi for this.

The problem I was debugging in the filter example was this one here:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/merge_requests/329

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com