Dynamically start and stop recording with tee branch to create seekable videos

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Thu Dec 12 16:14:48 UTC 2019

Le mercredi 11 décembre 2019 à 15:43 -0600, gstreamer_webcam a écrit :
> Hello, I'm trying to start and stop a recording with a tee branch. Every time
> when asked to start recording, tee will create a new branch with a unique
> id. When asked to stop recording, the tee branch will be stopped and removed
> (the other tee branch and pipeline is still functioning). How can I send EOS
> to make the generated videos seekable?
>
> One relevant hint in
> http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/Dynamically-start-and-stop-recording-using-valve-td4670091.html,
> but I don't know how to check if the EOS actually reaches the filesink
> before setting the pipeline state to NULL.

Because it's quite difficult, the dev I know doing that same ended up
using  two pipelines for that. An appsink on the live pipeline and then
an appsrc on the recording pipeline. Both way can work, but I think the
split pipeline approach is far easier to get right. Draining a branch
of a pipeline is rather hard, but possible, and might also be needed in
some scenarios.