Is 'rawvideoparse' element reading the wrong amount of bytes?

Aschwin Brandt aschwin.brandt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 08:24:55 UTC 2019

Hello all,

This is my first post, so please inform me if I break any rules.

I'm reading a byte-stream YUV420 at 972x720 pixels from a file with
Gstreamer using the following command:

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=testfile blocksize=1049760 ! rawvideoparse
width=972 height=720  framerate=1/1 ! xvimagesink

This works in so far that I get an image but this image isn't displayed
correctly. It looks like it contains part of the next YUV frame. When
exporting the frames seperately using command:

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=testfile blocksize=1049760 ! rawvideoparse
width=972 height=720  framerate=1/1 ! multifilesink location="rvp_%d.raw"

And play it using ffmpeg command:

ffplay -f rawvideo -video_size 972x720 -pixel_format yuv420p -i rvp_0.raw

The video (one frame) is displayed correctly.

I see that when using the element 'rawvideoparse' it will create a file of
1051200 bytes per frame instead of the expected 1049760. When I remove
'rawvideoparse' the right amount of bytes are written but this doesn't work
in a video pipeline and my objective is to read them directly from the file
into an 'xvimagesink'

Am I messing up or is there a bug in the rawvideoparse element?