GStreamer Plugin Boilerplate Generator

Antonio Ospite ao2 at ao2.it
Mon Feb 4 21:09:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 17:20:47 +0100
MaZderMind <ml at mazdermind.de> wrote:

> Hi there,

Hi,

> last time I asked on IRC how to best start a new Plugin, the suggestion
> was to "copy whatever comes close to what you're seeking for and modify it".
>
> Unfortunately the GObject Class-System requires, at least in the way
> GStreamer uses it, to write the Name of an Elemnt over and over again in
> different writings.

[...]
> I know that there is
> https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/plugin-development/basics/boiler.html
> but it only kind'a solves the first Problem.

As that page suggests, some templates can be found at:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-template

However as noted in one of the issue there
(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-template/issues/2), the
recommended templates are now in gst-plugins-bad:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/tree/master/tools

Here you can choose the base class depending on the kind of element you
want to create.

And you can create the autotools project.

I also have a script to create a meson project instead of an
autotools one and I plan to submit it to gst-plugins-bad soon.

> All of this poses overhead on the Plugin-Development. One can spend a
> whole day or two copying an existing Plugin, removing all the functional
> pieces, renaming all the things and adding back Properties, Signals and
> bringing the Plugin to do at least something.
>
> To make it simpler for me and others to create new Plugins and get a
> faster start, I created https://gstreamer.mazdermind.de/ .

[...]
> I hope you find this tool useful and would love to collect some Feedback.

This is certainly interesting for new users.

Maybe the UI can reuse the templates from gst-plugin-bad to have a
common ground for "official" examples.

Ciao,
   Antonio

--