vaapijpegdec fails to decode Logitech C930e jpeg image

chingmlai at rcn.com chingmlai at rcn.com
Fri Feb 15 16:15:26 UTC 2019

Dear Engineers,

    We use “vaapijpegdec” with “vaapipostproc” to decode video in stream of jpeg images at frame size of 1280 x 720 from a number of webcams.  It performs well for Logitech C500, C525, C615, C920, C922, as well as Microsoft LifeCam HD1080.  However, it fails to decompress video of Logitech C930e.  It may produce one or two frames, but then the pipeline stalls.  The decoded first two frames are not right either, as it misses the color and contains ghost images.  For your information, the “guvcview” software decoder can decompress the jpeg images of C930e, as well as those from all other webcams, without any problem.  It appears C930e contains extra tag that is rejected by “vaapijpegdec” and it causes the pipeline to halt.   We also test Gstreamer software decoder “jpegdec” with “videoconvert”.  It fails on C930e also, although it passes all other webcams.  For C930e, “jpegdec”  produces wrong images similar to that of “vaapijpegdec” and Gstreamer prints out many error messages.

   I did create this issue 6 days ago on gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer-vaapi/issues/134.  I got a comment from Olivier Crête with message of “Can you attach a couple pictures from the C930e that fails?”.  I generated couple of jpeg files from C930e.  But my email sent back to him was rejected.  I am not sure he has received my response and whether he will work on it or not.  I then attached these two jpeg files to the open issue 134.  Here is my response to Olivier, and I hope some of you can look into this issue.

    I recorded two consecutive jpeg frames of C930e, which is not good for vaapijpegdec (as well as jpegdec).   For your comparison, I also recorded two consecutive jpeg frames of C525, which is good for vaapijpegdec and jpegdec.   Both of them can be open by VLC player.  However, I was surprised to find the C525 jpeg cannot be open by certain photo viewers.  I hope these data are useful for you to find the problem.  If you need anything else, just let me know.

    By the way, I use them in C++ program of Gstreamer Pipeline under Linux OS.  I only tested Logitech models up to C930e.  I suspect most new models might have the same problem.  I also use vaapih264enc and vaapipostproc functions, and they are good for all the webcams I have tested.

    Best regards,

Ching Lai.