how to build one plugin in meson

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Feb 28 09:07:07 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-02-28 at 00:36 -0600, Leo.Fernando wrote:

Hi Leo,

> I tried with vpx plugin. it still builds same 382 objects. sounds a
> bit strange. im also on git master of like last week

The vpx plugin in -good?

If I run meson --auto-features=disabled -Dvpx=enabled in -good it
builds 21 objects for me (that's because it builds some examples it
shouldn't build, after I fix that it builds 9 objects / 1 target).

> Isn't it possible to build only modified file, say i modify only one
> c file and to build only that file? that is some drawback of meson in
> my opinion compared to autotool

Once you've built everything, just re-building the things that have
changed when you modify a single .c file should be very quick (unlike
recursive make/autotools ninja doesn't have to spend 30 seconds
trawling through directories to find stuff that's changed).

Alternatively, you can also do e.g. this after you run meson:

 $ ninja -C build gst/mpegtsdemux/libgstmpegtsdemux.so

(tab completion should work here) which will build exactly what's
required for this target, which is 35 objects in my case.

Cheers
 Tim