raw video stream with per frame meta data over network

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Mon Jan 7 15:18:14 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2018-12-18 at 07:32 -0600, Thomas Johansson wrote:

Hi,

> So the meta data will not be more than some 10 items and total meta
> data size less than 128 bytes, the KLV will then add to this.

Ok, so fairly small.

There are at least two options:

1) Embed the KLV data in your RTP-payloaded video stream via RTP header
extensions. This should work fine for small data chunks like yours.
It's a bit finicky to do, you'd have to write a custom element to do
this or use pad probes and the GstRTPBuffer API, but it's been done
before and should just work. Same then on the receiving end to extract
it again.

2) Send the KLV data as a separate KLV RTP stream and
synchronise/combine on the receiver side.

I would probably go for Option 1, unless you need it as a separate
stream on the receiver side anyway (e.g. to mux into an MPEG-TS stream
or such).

Cheers
 -Tim