24/7 playout with gstreamer in 2019

Jon bae jonbae77 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 09:42:59 UTC 2019

Hello,
I would like to write an open source playout solution with gstreamer. The
goal is, to stream (with rtmp) playlist dynamical for every day. And this
playlists must be editable in any time, except the current (and maybe the
next, or last) clip of course.

I saw that gstreamer has some Bins what might be useful for that case. That
is playbin3, uridecodebin3 and decodebin3. This ones have the signal "
*about-to-finish*", what makes it possible to play gapless.

The biggest problem I see, is A/V sync, I read that this is not an easy
case, and I believe this too. Most time video and audio have not the same
length, and this cases a growing shift over time.

I found also the example *playout.c* in the *gst-plugins-bad *sources. This
looks very good to me and I test it too, on my Mac it stops after some
hours... Maybe this will go, when the output is not an autovideosink, but
an rtmpsink.

This example is now from 2015, so I ask my self if now with the new Bins,
it would be better to change some thing?

I'm also not so good in C programming, what makes it even harder for me. I
have to learn the gstreamer API and logic and I have to learn more C. In
python I feel more comfortable.

Could you please give me some though and suggestions, how you would go
forward here?