building GStreamer as a single shared library

David Ing ding at panopto.com
Thu Jan 17 17:11:37 UTC 2019

My information might be out of date (or inaccurate) ... I hope someone will
correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

As of about 1 year ago (around gstreamer version 1.12.4), I think the
Windows binaries were built using cerbero relying on the old auto-tools
build system.  I believe the compiler was gcc and mingw was also involved.
It may have also involved msys2 but my memory is foggy.

The gstreamer project has recently evolved to use a Meson build system
(seeking to replace auto-tools), but last I heard it wasn't working with
MSVC yet.  For example on Linux you would use gst-build which drives the
Meson build.  But some builds (e.g. Windows) may still use the old
auto-tools build system via cerbero.  I believe MSVC is on the roadmap for
the Meson build (and for gst-build) but I haven't heard whether it is
working yet.

The last time I tried to build the Windows binaries using cerbero (around
gstreamer version 1.12.4) I ran into all kinds of problems and I didn't
have enough time to push through them.  Hopefully those problems have been
fixed by now.