MPEG-TS, Rust, and C strings – the ongoing saga

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Jul 19 14:20:48 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-07-19 at 09:05 +0300, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> […]
>
> Reproduce it in C if you're unsure about that. It's most likely not a
> bindings problem as the -sys bindings *are* basically C.

I relented and wrote a C program. It turns out that
gst_mpegts_descriptor_parse_dvb_short_event can return success and yet leave
the event_name and text out parameters null: if it cannot parse the strings
for some reason it leaves the out parameter null and yet returns success – I
think because the language_code was successfully parsed, even if parsing the
event_name and text failed.

Thus the SIGSEGV must be because CStr::from_ptr fails to check for a null
argument, so when it calls sys::strlen it cannot cope. Thus it seems the
actual error here is in the Rust code – though I think there are clearly
problems in the C code.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200