Another 10-bit packed YUV format

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Wed Jul 31 12:16:50 UTC 2019

Le mercredi 31 juillet 2019 à 06:45 -0400, Josh Doe a écrit :
> I'm writing a source for Imperx SDI grabbers, and they seem to use a
> format I've not seen before.
>
> It's packed 4:2:2 YUV 10 bits per channel, YVYU order, big endian, and
> with no padding bits, so they pack 4 components in 5 bytes, and each
> row is aligned to 4 bytes. Unless others use this format, it's not
> worth adding a new pixel format.

I've seen similar format, I think Rockchip uses similar packing as it's
optimal for serial links and memory bandwidth. Feel free to propose a
patch to libgstvideo (gst-plugins-base), it seems like a valid format
that we'll see again in the future.

> From grepping plugins for similar formats, it seems v210 is the most
> commonly supported format, so adding conversions internal to the
> source to v210 and AYUV64 might make the most sense. Input welcome, I
> don't often encounter new formats.

The side effect is that you don't get HW acceleration, while exposing
the real format let you later implement some GL/Vulkan/D3D shader to
handle it faster.