Reducing one second delay on rtsp h264 stream from IP camera

chars contact at charstiles.com
Sun Jun 2 22:00:11 UTC 2019

Hello all.

I am using the OpenFrameworks (which is a cpp wrapper)  ofxGStreamer addon
<https://github.com/arturoc/ofxGStreamer>   to receive and display an rtsp
h264 IP security camera ( the Fisheye RevoTech IR Ethernet Security Camera
<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fisheye-FHD-1920-x-1080P-2-0MP-6-Array-LED-IR-Night-Vision-Panoramic-IP-Camera/32799381124.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.265.3d7c3c007XJ1qu>
) stream. I am trying to get it to be as close to realtime as possible. The
IP camera is wired to a router which is wired into my laptop, at a very
short distance, so I can't blame the connection or distance. I can use some
software on my windows machine called ISpy which has a latency/delay of a
matter of a few hundred milliseconds, while my OF app has a delay of 1
second.

The pipeline is:
rtspsrc
location=rtsp://admin:@192.168.8.192:554/live;stream=0;drop-on-latency=true;
latency=0 ! queue2 max-size-buffers=2 ! decodebin ! videoconvert !
videoscale ! appsink name=ofappsink enable-last-sample=0 caps="video/x-raw,
format=GRAY8, width=341, height=251"

This is my first time using Gstreamer, I am very happy I was able to get it
down from 3 second latency to 1 second but I've been stuck here for a while
now. I don't care about quality or artifacts, just that it is close to
realtime as possible. I believe that because it is RTSP I as the client make
requests to how it is being streamed so I can't blame how the camera is
sending the stream.

This is my first post so please let me know if I do anything rude by
accident. Also I have tried to subscribe to the to the email list but I just
got a bounce back email saying that its rejected because
gstreamer-devel-request at lists.freedesktop.org is unknown.

Thanks for reading.