External plugin loader

ErniBrown ernesto.varoli at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 10:38:13 UTC 2019

On linux I've got a particular setup,whit no gstreamer library or plugin
installed through the host package manager, but only compiled and put in
specific folders as .so libraries. When I run my code I tell the program to
scan one of the folders for the plugins (with gst_registry_scan_path), and
everything works like a charm. The only thing that is not clear is why I've
got this warning:

/GStreamer-WARNING **: External plugin loader failed. This most likely means
that the plugin loader helper binary was not found or could not be run. You
might need to set the GST_PLUGIN_SCANNER environment variable if your setup
is unusual. This should normally not be required though./

I mean it is clear that I don't have the gst plugin scanner binary, but why
is it needed? I don't want my code to rely on an external program. Can I
bypass this warning somehow? Is that safe?

Thanks