Embedding GPS and timestamp tags on a per frame basis

pisymbol pisymbol at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 18:29:42 UTC 2019

I have a system with two cameras that are recording and eventually landing
here:

matroskamux name="muxer" streamable=true ! multifilesink post-messages=true
next-file=5 max-file-duration=60000000000

I have two other pipelines that end in h264parse ! muxer.video_[01] to
process the streams. What I want is for every frame to somehow squirrel
away both a timestamp and a GPS location. The GPS location can be retrieved
from onboard hardware.

First question: Is this possible?

I see a very similar request here regarding just timestamps:

http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/Video-to-jpeg-embedding-timecode-into-the-jpegs-td4672963.html

What I'm not sure about is that this has to be a custom plugin (at least
for timestamping)? There is nothing out of the box that can at least
timestamp frames? In the original thread, it seems he wanted the timestamp
in the EXIF header. I believe there is also room their for a geotag as
well, right?

On StackOverflow, someone mentioned GstMeta() but that seems like for a
message bus passing approach than a tag event one but this is all new to me.

Any general pointers would be much appreciated,

-aps