Need help for finishing migration of a Digital Signage application on basis of gstreamer(-vaapi) GLX 1.6.x and info-beamer => gstreamer 1.16 using EGL Context

Sebastian Stelmasik s.stelmasik at it-websolutions.com
Wed Jun 5 18:08:45 UTC 2019

Hello gstreamer Pros!

we need help to finish migration of a Digital Signage application on
basis of
gstreamer(-vaapi) 1.16.x (using the handoff signal in vaapisink) and
info-beamer (
https://info-beamer.com/opensource
<https://www.freelancer.com/users/l.php?url=https:%2F%2Finfo-beamer.com%2Fopensource&sig=44f535376934e69aedcc07f760c3849a64a41826aeba3b71ba90d34e35572fbb>).
Until now we were using (cheap) AMD devices where we use glx-pixmaps for
surface sharing between gstreamer and info-beamer which works quite perfect
(no mem copy at all).

Now we have to switch to INTEL devices as there are no cheap (and compatible
with the former open souce driver) AMD devices and now we are expiriencing
framedrop issues in surface sharing between gstreamer(-vaapi) and
info-beamer on INTEL ATOM Z8300 devices (which should be a lot faster than
the AMD E-350 we have been using before). As I said before we use
glx-pixmaps for surface sharing which works perfect on AMD-GPUs. But now
there seems to be a lot of in mem copy which couses a lot of framedrops.

In short our issues are now:

1) Opening EGL Context fails
2) Using EGLImages, wrapping the texture, and thus no memcopy should be
required

The tasks are:
1) use EGL (Fix issue opening EGL Context) (done: 75%)
2) change code to use a pipeline like this: (done: 50%)
playbin video-sink="glupload ! appsink
=> code will use the appsink API to fetch the decoded video frames with
GLMemory, which it will contain a texture that one can render.

By using EGL vaapi it will export dmabuf-based buffers, those buffers
should be
imported as EGLImages, wrapped the texture, and thus no memcopy should
be required.

Right now we have some issues opening EGL-Context and code has to be
migrated to use EGLImages instead of GLImages.

I believe that it will not be complicated as everything here is already
done, all we need is to check the methods used so far, find and fix the
cause of the issue and maybe re-modify a couple of (sink?) functions.

You'll get full access to required project sources (via subversion) and
should be able to compile/run the project. Target plattform is Ubuntu
18.04.x on INTEL Atom devices - but any other INTEL integrated GFX
should be OK for developing. Final tests will be done internal.

If you want your bid to be taken for serious, send me a message
describing your knowledge of Gstreamer and pipelines for simple
displaying HD playback (via EGL).

Required is an GStreamer Expert knowing also a little about LUA-Language
as info-beamer is a LUA-Based Application using GStreamer for
Video-Playback.

For any questions, fell free to contact me any time.

Please contact me via E-Mail: s.stelmasik at it-websolutions.com to discuss
the details.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sebastian Stelmasik

--

IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik
Dipl. Informatiker

Naatlandstr. 2
45143 Essen

Phone:  +49-201-6177151
Fax:    +49-201-6177152
Mobile: +49-172-2415963

---

Die Information in dieser e-mail ist vertraulich und exklusiv fuer den Adressatenkreis bestimmt. Weiterleitung oder Kopieren, auch auszugsweise, darf nur mit ausdruecklicher Einwilligung von IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik erfolgen. In jedem Fall ist sicherzustellen, dass keinerlei inhaltliche Veraenderungen erfolgen. IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik uebernimmt keine Haftung fuer die Richtigkeit der Information in dieser e-mail noch fuer Handlungen, die auf ihrer Grundlage erfolgen.

The information provided in this e-mail is confidential and is for the sole use of the recipient. It may not be disclosed, copied or distributed in any form without the obtained permission of IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik and to the extent that it is passed on care must be taken to ensure that this is in a form which accurately reflects the information presented here. No responsibility can be accepted by  IT- & Websolutions Stelmasik for the correctness of the information provided in this e-mail nor for any action on its basis.