webrtc stats

Gigliotti, Sam samgig at amazon.com
Wed Jun 5 21:01:42 UTC 2019

Hi -

We are using webrtcbin in 1.14, and in particular are working on collecting metrics from running pipelines using that element.

For outbound RTP streams, the stats emitted by webrtcbin never report any packets or octets sent (the values are always zero).

In working through the code, I believe this is because the RTP streams themselves have a concept of "internal", and webrtcbin ignores internal RTP streams when reporting metrics. However, only the internal streams collect the packets/octets sent.

In other words, this block in gstwebrtcstats.c

if (internal || (ssrc && stats_ssrc && ssrc != stats_ssrc))
  continue;

In conjunction with this comment in rtpsource.c

* The following fields make sense for internal sources and will only increase

* when "is-sender" is TRUE.

*

*  "octets-sent"  G_TYPE_UINT64   number of bytes we sent

*  "packets-sent" G_TYPE_UINT64   number of packets we sent

Means webrtcbin will never report how many packets have been sent.

A few questions:

1)      Is this an oversight or by design?

2)      Is there some other way to have these metrics reported?

Thanks!

--
sam gigliotti
samgig at amazon.com<mailto:samgig at amazon.com>