Problems with GstShark - RidgeRun

Michael Gruner michael.gruner at ridgerun.com
Wed Jun 5 22:09:39 UTC 2019

Hi Nicolas,

  Thanks for jumping in.  Our goal with GstShark is to provide a tool to developers so they can identify bottlenecks in the pipelines in an easy, visual way. The first step towards that was to add CTF support to the project. Next we wanted to provide a nice visualisation tool  to consume this CTF and plot the data, even en real time. We never quite got to the later (yet).

  It would be great if we could use your tracers as well, and eventually merge ours into mainline. That would leave GstShark as an independent front-end, and RidgeRun would focus on developing hardware specific tracers. A good starting point for the transition is to add CTF support to your tracers.  We can clean up the CTF support and prepare a merge request into GStreamer.

Would that be something someone on your team could review and work with us to merge in mainline?

Regards,
Michael

PD:

> For cpuusage, that sounds very similar to upstream rusage tracer. Could be nice if someone tells me
> the difference.

The CPU tracers is simply that, prints the CPU usage every N seconds. To do so it parses /proc/stat instead of using getrusage() as you do. There is no reason to keep it if rusage is upstream, it’s there because we weren’t aware of yours back then on 1.7 when tracing first started. We need the CTF output though.