vp8 v/s vp9 encoder in terms of performance

Saurabh Bora saurabh9bora at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 16:20:41 UTC 2019

Hi,
As suggested I added the property deadline=1 to the pipeline
gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! autovideoconvert ! vp8enc deadline=1 ! vp8dec
! autovideosink

Still video streaming lags significantly when vp9 encoder is used.

Can you please help understand when must one use vp9 over vp8 and vice
versa?
Or is there a way to use vp9 encoder and achieve same performance as that
of vp8 encoder?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 8:35 PM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas at ndufresne.ca>
wrote:

> Le lundi 25 mars 2019 à 18:35 +0530, Saurabh Bora a écrit :
>
> Hi Experts!
>
> I am using a dummy pipeline below to test performance of vp8 encoder v/s
> vp9 encoder
> gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! autovideoconvert ! vp8enc ! vp8dec !
> autovideosink
>
> Just replace vp8 by vp9 to use vp9 encoder in the pipeline.
>
> My observation is that, video streaming in case of vp9 encoder lags
> significantly as compared to vp8 encoder.
>
> Can you please help me understand, when should one use vp9 over vp8 or
> vice versa?
>

> For live streaming with vp8/vp9 encoder, you could configured the
> deadline, otherwise the encoder will run in "offline" mode and will take
> quite variable amount of time per frame and may not be real-time in the
> end. Try deadline=1 as an example.
>

> --
> Thanks and Regards,
> Saurabh Bora