Video to stdout

lec1 lec at geisel-software.com
Fri May 3 13:16:05 UTC 2019

Hi, thanks for your wonderful work.

I am adding streamer support to a Node.js application. This application
currently uses ffmpeg and has grown around the "fluent ffmeg" framework.
The "fluent ffmpeg" software drives the video via a pipe to stdout. A lot of
support software has been written in the application to support this model.
Now to my problems with gstreamer, In order to be the least disruptive
possible I have adopted the same model. A RTSP stream at the head and a
stdout sink. Here are some of the things I have tried:

 gst-launch-1.0 uridecodebin silent=true
uri=rtsp://192.168.1.x:8822/test.stm ! queue ! fdsink fd=1
 gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc silent=true
location=rtsp://192.168.1.x:8822/test.stm ! rtph264depay ! fdsink fd=1
 gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc silent=true
location=rtsp://192.168.1.x:8822/test.stm
caps="video/x-h264,width=1280,height=800,framerate=(fraction)25/1" ! queue !
rtph264depay ! h264parse ! avdec_h264 ! fdsink fd=1
etc.

All of the above produce video when terminated by "autovideosink" instead of
the "fdsink fd=1" construct.

However with "fdsink fd=1" or "filesink location=/dev/stdout" video pipe
termination, the pipeline is stalled.

The software that handles the pipeline fills up buffers and extracts the
mpeg images to display on a web page. I have wrapped gstreamer in a wrapper
very similar to the "fluent" wrapper for ffmpeg and have attached event
handlers to help with the progress of the pipeline. I have enabled debug
logging and nothing jumps at me. It looks like the pipeline is behaving as
it should yet I still am unable to get video output.

I have also attempted to concatenate pipelines.

e.g.
gst-launch-1.0 uridecodebin silent=true uri=rtsp://192.168.1.x:8822/test.stm
! queue ! fdsink fd=1 | gst-launch-1.0 fdsrc fd=0 ! decodebin !
autovideosink
but thus far I have not succeeded.

Any light you can shed on the resolution of this issue is greatly
appreciated.