Why is GstBuffer not writable in the _fill method of GstPushSrc?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon May 6 17:48:50 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-05-06 at 10:20 -0500, Ben Rush wrote:
> My question is what's the difference between the gst_video_frame_map
> and the gst_buffer_map in that one is calling into these "meta"
> functions whereas the other is not. They appear to be two separate
> ways of mapping the memory, and indeed have dramatically different
> effects when used in my context, but it's my understanding they
> should both be doing about the same thing.

They should be the same thing, but the GstVideoFrame variant might be
more optimized. But by default, both should behave the same or
otherwise that's a bug.

If a special allocator is negotiated between your element and the
MediaSDK elements (or a special caps feature or ...) then it would be
valid to only allow using the GstVideoFrame API (or even a completely
different API) as that could be part of the contract of that
negotiation result. But this must be opt-in.

--
Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · https://www.centricular.com