[Help | Newbie] Capturing video frames from RTMP/RTSP streams (GStreamer + Python3 + RGB)

Nishant Trivedi nishant at ever.ai
Tue May 7 21:34:49 UTC 2019

Hello,

First of all I apologize if this is a repetition of a question that was
already asked and resolved.

I am a newbie working on an application that aims to capture frames in RGB
format from streaming video (RTMP/RTSP) using GStreamer and Python3.
Ideally the frame rate should be customizable and a GPU for video
processing whenever available.

As a noob to Gstreamer, I went through the "Application Development Manual"
at https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/ and read some example
code at:

   -
   https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/application-development/advanced/pipeline-manipulation.html
   -
   https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-base/tree/tests/examples/app/appsrc-stream.c
   -
   https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-base/tree/tests/examples/snapshot/snapshot.c

But from my current understanding, I got the idea that these examples do
not handle processing of live sources or streams. This is based on the
comment:

 /* for live sources, we need to set the pipeline to PLAYING before we can
       * receive a buffer. We don't do that yet */

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can point me in the right
direction.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
--