Issues to connect to a RTSP stream

Marco marco.woermann at idemia.com
Mon May 13 13:51:13 UTC 2019

Hi guys,

I have the following problem:
I have attached 3 IP Cams (2x Axis, 1x Panasonic) to Genetec's Security
Center which forwards the streams as RTSP streams.

I want to use GStreamer (Windows; gst-launch-1.0 version 1.16.0; GStreamer
1.16.0) for processing the RTSP streams.
Unfortunately the connection works sometimes immediately, but most times it
needs between 30 and 90 sec. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, and I need to
use STRG-C and need to retry.
If I double-check with VLC, it works instantly.

I start GStreamer as follows:
C:\gstreamer\1.0\x86_64\bin>gst-launch-1.0.exe --gst-debug=rtspsrc:7 rtspsrc
location=rtsp://<user>:<PW>@<IP>:<Port>/000000010000babe0000accc8e26994f/live
debug=1 ! decodebin ! filesink locat
ion=vms.mp4

Thers is a lot debug output then on the console. I try to copy & paste the -
in my opinon - crucial part, i.e. where it hangs.
In fact, this is the single part that differs from the output of a test run
that works like a charm. All other parts are identical.

Does anybody have an idea what GStreamer is doing / requiring when it is
telling "source in session 0 is active" repeatedly?
How can I use more sophisticated debug parameters to get more meaningful
messages?

Thanks in advance, guys  :-)