RTSP server maxes out 1 CPU core

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Fri Nov 1 16:13:17 UTC 2019

Le jeu. 31 oct. 2019 14 h 40, wilson1994 <willemsthomas1994 at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use gst-rtsp-server to transfer an uncompressed video stream
> with a high frame rate (>80 fps) over a dedicated network to 1 client.
>
> My pipeline setup is quite simple and looks like this:
>
>     gst_rtsp_media_factory_set_launch (factory, "( appsrc name=source !
> rtpgstpay name=pay0 )");
>
> I notice that the bottleneck is that I max out 1 core of my CPU, while the
> others are not in use, which prevents me from achieving the required frame
> rate.
>
> A solution would be to insert a queue to divide the pipeline into multiple
> threads, but 90% of the pipeline is unexposed to me as it's integrated in
> the gst-rtsp-server.
>
> Therefore I wonder if there is some way I can spread out the workload of
> gst-rtsp-server over multiple cores?

Simple thing to try is to add a queue (thread) after the payloader, and
name is pay0 (even if it not a payloader, it should still work. That will
split the load of packetization (which will likely copy the stream) in its
own thread. That being said, adding buffer list support to this payloader,
and sub-buffer support may be required for such a high bitrate case.