Support for Massive Multicore Machines?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Thu Oct 10 23:02:29 UTC 2019

Le jeu. 10 oct. 2019 14 h 11, Stirling Westrup <swestrup at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> I know that GStreamer is multi-threaded, but I'm worried that it
> doesn't make efficient use of CPUs like the new AMD 64-core
> processors. Are there plans to better support such devices in the
> future? Are there any recommendations for folks targeting such
> equipment today?

Do you have numbers to support this ? I've done some test on ThreadRipper
2990, and many things scale very well after configuring it (tried software
encoding and software color conversion). Of course, just adding queues as a
parallel method won't work, but many element already have ability to use
multiple threads internally.

For servers, where the 64 threads can easily be exhausted, I believe the
best way forward is using the rust threadshare, looks a bit experimental,
but sounds like the right approach.