how to save rtsp h.264 stream frame by frame

venkata.subbarao rao.subba.venkata at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:46:46 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I have two questions which are related. Kindly help me.

1) openRTSP, a RTSP client from live555 has option to save rtsp stream as
frame by frame using -m option. How can I acheive this using gstreamer ?

I have created a pipeline in my C program as follows. In the callback of
appsink, I am trying to save frame by frame. But, I have no idea how to do
this.

rtspsrc location=rtsp://<rtsp url> ! queue ! rtph264depay ! h264parse !
appsink name=test sync=false

2) I tried to save the stream to a file using following command. The
recorded file can be played back. One thing I noticed is that this does not
have a start code 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x1 at the beginning of each frame like in
openRTSP saved file. Any reason why ?

gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc location=<rtsp url> ! queue ! rtph264depay !
h264parse ! mpegtsmux ! filesink location=test.h264

Thanks,
Subbarao