Issues with generating PNG snapshot from RTP Raw Stream

telepheedian telepheedian at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 23:11:40 UTC 2019

I am having an issue where I am getting partial frames (green at the
beginning of the frame), when trying to generate a PNG snapshot from a live
RTP Raw stream. I believe this is because pngenc is pulling the first
end-of-frame and encoding that. I have tried things like using videorate to
set the framerate very low (1/1 or lower) before encoding, and while this
does help, I still periodically get partial frames with that approach. Am I
right in assuming that the issue is due to the stream starting mid-frame?
And if so, what is the best practice for handling this particular case?

Here is the core command that I'm using:

gst-launch-1.0 -v udpsrc multicast-group=224.1.1.2 port=6972 !
"application/x-rtp, media=(string)video, clock-rate=(int)90000,
encoding-name=(string)RAW, sampling=(string)YCbCr-4:2:2, depth=(string)8,
width=(string)320, height=(string)180, payload=(int)112" ! rtpjitterbuffer !
rtpvrawdepay ! videoconvert ! "video/x-raw, colorimetry=BT709" ! pngenc
snapshot=true ! filesink location=image.png