hlssink2 & fMP4 (fragmented mp4)

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Thu Sep 19 12:24:41 UTC 2019

Le mercredi 18 septembre 2019 à 10:43 -0500, logidelic a écrit :
> My understanding is that hlssink2 only supports mpegtsmux, is that accurate?

Internally, hlssink2 (unlike hlssink) is based on splitmuxsink. That
means adding support for fMP4 should be relatively easy. As its
extremely similar, you'll find dashsink support which is pending review
here (and does fMP4).

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/merge_requests/704

> For h265, Apple only supports fMP4, so currently hlssink2 can't be used. How
> difficult would it be to add fMP4 support?

Do you know if anything needs change in the manifest, or will this all
be identical with fMP4 instead of MPEG TS ? Also, DASH often split the
audio from the video, does HLS / fMP4 do the same ?